When individuals come to Cygnet Sherwood Lodge they can often be mentally and emotionally unstable due to varying reasons. We believe that by creating a calm and inviting environment we can enhance a person’s progress and self-esteem to help them on their care pathway towards a less restrictive setting.
Cygnet Sherwood Lodge is split into 2 wards, there are 17 beds on the main ward and a further 9 step-down beds where there is an increased focus on daily living skills, enabling individuals to test out their independent living skills before further community integration.
The service is located in the heart of the community just a short distance from an extensive array of local amenities including leisure centres, social clubs, shops and restaurants. We want the men in our care to make their own choices and live as independently as they are able to. To achieve this, our in-house Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) supports them with our learning disability model of care. This offers support from the nursing team, psychology, psychiatry, speech and language and occupational therapy.
Read Kallam’s blog about his experience at Cygnet Sherwood Lodge through to the present day where he is looking forward to discharge and, ultimately, a career in mental health and psychiatry.
Our psychology approach aims to replace maladaptive behaviours with positive social interaction. As part of our preparation for core and advanced daily living skills, our occupational therapy led programmes facilitate education, vocational skills and social integration.
Our speech and language therapy approaches include PECS communication systems to facilitate learning and general communication skills.
“If you dream it you can do it” Service User
Within the service there are a number of good sized living areas, including lounges, dining areas and activities of daily living (ADL) kitchen, where individuals can develop their skills, as well plenty of outdoor space to enjoy.
“This hospital is the best” Service User
Our service user profile
- Primary diagnosis of learning disability and mental health complex needs
- May present with co-morbid presentations:
- Challenging behaviour
- Personality disorder, schizophrenia, depression, bi-polar disorder
- Dual diagnosis
- Complex needs and/or multiple diagnoses
- May be detained under the Mental Health Act
- May have a history of repeated hospital admissions
- May have a forensic history
- En-suite bedrooms
- Garden with outside seating, facilities to grow fruit and vegetables, forestry school and sensory garden
- Café with pool table
- Lounges and dining room
- Therapy kitchen and laundry service to support skills development
- Art and craft room
- Computer room
- Multi-faith room
- Games room
- Family room
Our community links
Download the Cygnet Sherwood Lodge Flyer475.86 KB
- Sutton Centre Community College and West Nottinghamshire College
- Local shops and supermarkets
- Voluntary work
- Dove Dance: a popular local disco
- Stable management and horse riding (Bolsover)
- Bike riding, walks and picnics at Sherwood Pines
- Vocational links: PAVES, grass roots, Willow Tree Farm, Bumbles Café
- Craft/woodwork sessions
- Local church
- Leisure Centres
Please click on the images to enlarge.