We support individuals who are stepping down from a more secure setting as part of their care pathway. We work with them and provide personalised care to help them develop the necessary skills to leave our rehabilitation service and move towards a less restrictive setting in the community.
Cygnet Elms is in a central location close to an array of local amenities in Birmingham, including colleges, shops, restaurants, parks and work placement settings.
We want the women in our care to make their own choices and live as independently as they are able to. To achieve this, our in-house Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) supports them with our learning disability model of care. This offers support from the nursing team, psychology, psychiatry, speech and language and occupational therapy.
Case Study: Jade’s Journey
Read about how the team at Cygnet Elms transformed Jade’s life.
Our psychology approach aims to address clinical and forensic risk by drawing upon a variety of therapeutic models and positive behaviour support in order to assist individuals in working towards an empowered and positive future. The occupational therapy service aims to create a sensory modulated environment and one that is physically safe. It aims to maximise each individual’s independence through the support and development of functional activities of daily living and life skills. In addition, it aims to support the staff, through ongoing staff training, modelling and working collaboratively within the wider team. Our speech and language therapy approach is a total communication environment, 1:1 and group sessions looking at a variety of communication skills and needs alongside social skills. A range of individualised accessible information is provided where required to facilitate learning and aid understanding.
Our service user profile:
- Primary diagnosis of learning disability and mental health complex needs
- May present with co-morbid presentations:
- Challenging behaviour
- Personality disorder
- Schizophrenia, depression, bi-polar disorder
- Dual diagnosis
- Complex needs and/or multiple diagnoses
- May be detained under the Mental Health Act or informal
- May have a history of repeated hospital admissions
- Forensic history
- En-suite bedrooms
- Communal areas including a garden
- Multiple lounges including a quiet lounge
- Beauty salon
- Dining room
- Therapy kitchen and laundry service to support skills development
- IT café
- Sensory room
Our community links:
- Numerous colleges and adult education centres
- Kingstanding Leisure Centre
- Stockland Green Trampoline Club
- Community hairdresser
- Pets as Therapy charity
- Local shops, restaurants and cafés
- Close to transport links into central Birmingham
- StarCity – bowling, restaurants, cinema and mini golf
Please click on the images to enlarge.