We encourage and enable the individuals we support to lead a full and happy life. We work with them to ensure they have more choice and control in their lives. We find out their strengths, abilities and preferences so that the care provided can be as person-centred and meaningful to each individual as possible.
The Squirrels has 9 bedrooms with en-suite shower rooms; three on the ground floor and six on the first floor. The service has plenty of space, both inside and outside in the large garden. Communal living areas include a large lounge, dining room, a cinema room and activity room known as The Hub, as well as a couple of communal bathrooms and a sensory room. Externally in the large garden individuals are supported to take part in sports and activities as well as be able to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet.
The home is located in the beautiful village of Chilworth just a short distance from Southampton and its vast array of community facilities. There are pleasant woodland walks and parks on our doorstep along with the usual amenities you would expect to find in a village. The residents are encouraged to be involved in the local community as much or as little as they wish to be. As part of our care pathway, The Squirrels enables each individual to build upon their skills to achieve further independence, self-advocacy and confidence, leading to better quality of life.
Our activity co-ordinator supports individuals in creating person-centred activity planners and developing daily living skills both inside the home and out in the community. The integrated multi-disciplinary team (MDT) consists of occupational therapy, speech and language therapy, psychology and psychiatry. Our staff use least restrictive practice approaches and are trained in specialised intervention techniques and sensory integration strategies.
Our resident profile:
- Adults from the age of 18 years
- Individuals with a diagnosis of autism & learning disability
- May present with behaviours that challenge
- May have communication challenges
- May have associated complex needs
- May have an ECHP (Education Healthcare Plan)
- May be subjected to DoLS (Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards) or Care Orders
- Bedrooms with en-suite shower and toilet
- 2 communal bathrooms
- Large lounge
- Multi-sensory room
- Recreational and arts facilities
- Large garden with outdoor seating
- The Hub – includes a cinema room and activity room
Our community links:
- Country parks
- Woodland walks
- Local beaches
- QE2 Activity Centre – activity sessions and day services for those with autism, learning disabilities and sensory impairment
Please click on the images to enlarge.