Depending on the individual’s level of need, at Cygnet Oaks we provide different levels of support in 2 wards, the Lodge and the House;
- Lodge – this is a 20 bed admission ward where most service users will start their recovery journey at Cygnet Oaks. Individuals who are admitted to this ward are generally stepping down from an acute or a low secure service
- House – a 15 bed service for individuals to continue along their care pathway. The Lodge also contains a 4 bed step-through service. This is situated in its own corridor and has a separate living space to prepare and develop individuals towards a community placement whilst still having input from the multi-disciplinary team (MDT).
Our dedicated clinical teams provide a full multi-disciplinary programme that includes; occupational therapy, psychology, psychiatry, offering service users the opportunities and support they need to stabilise their condition and enter society with a renewed sense of enthusiasm and optimism.
Our interventions are matched according to individual needs. Our team will always adapt their engagement technique and personnel delivering specific interventions to maximise engagement and ensure that progress is always being made with the men in our care.
Our occupational therapy department supports service users to engage in meaningful occupations, overcome barriers that prevent them from engaging in meaningful activities and focuses on supporting individuals to develop the skills needed to live a more independent and fulfilling life in the community. To support with this, we have a full therapy programme that includes a range of self-care, productive and leisure-based activities. Our occupational therapy pathway has different stages of treatment and the interventions offered will change as our service user’s progress through each stage of this pathway.
Barnsley town centre is a short walk or bus ride away, giving service users access to the many facilities in the local community. To promote social inclusion we have developed pathways linking the service user’s short term goals in care plans with activities in the mainstream services of the local communities.
Dominic praises Cygnet Oaks staff after achieving university dream
A former service user at Cygnet Oaks has praised staff for their “profound impact” on his life after their care and support enabled him to achieve a university degree.
Our service user profile:
- Men aged 18+
- Detained under the Mental Health Act (1983) or informal
- Primary diagnosis of mental illness with:
- Complex comorbidities
- Substance, drug and alcohol abuse
- Treatment resistance
- Behaviours that challenge
- Aiming for a return to the community or community-based care
- History of sexual abuse or domestic violence
- Typical diagnoses: schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar affective disorder or depression
- May have secondary diagnoses of mild learning disability, autism spectrum disorder or personality disorder
- May have a forensic history and/or be stepping down from secure services
- May have a history of repeated acute admissions
- En-suite bedrooms
- Therapy kitchen
- Variety of activity areas
- Art room
- Horticultural garden
- Therapy room
- Relaxation rooms
- Dining room
- Living room
- Enclosed garden
- IT café
Our community links:
- Pure heaven holistic therapy
- Table tennis coaching with Inclusive Ping Pong
- Barnsley MIND
- Citizens advice Barnsley
- Barnsley Recovery College
- Short bus ride into Barnsley town centre which features an abundance of community facilities to access
Please click on the images to enlarge.
A Career with Cygnet Oaks
Join our amazing nursing teams in Barnsley!
A career at Cygnet comes with excellent benefits. Whether it’s saving you money on the high street, with healthcare, holidays & leisure – or securing your future with professional development and a pension – we support you to be happy both in & out of work.