We want the men in our care to make their own choices and live as independently as they are able to. To achieve this, our in-house Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) supports them with our learning disability model of care. This offers support from the nursing team, psychology, psychiatry, speech and language and occupational therapy.
Cygnet Bostall House is a spacious detached property, surrounded by beautiful parks and gardens in the heart of Abbey Wood, London. Individuals have a choice of lounges and communal areas to relax in, an activities of daily living (ADL) kitchen, as well as the benefit of 2 large gardens. When an individual comes to Cygnet Bostall House, we find out how they would like to personalise their room and we support them to make it their own. We also like to find out what they like to do and what interests them. Service users are supported to plan menus, shop and prepare food to increase their daily living skills in readiness for moving on.
Locally there is a large and varied choice of community activities, including bowling, gyms, cafés and shops. For more variety in activities, central London is only half an hour away by train. Individuals are also supported to access education at local colleges and have paid or voluntary work placements to increase their independence.
Our goal is to enable individuals to structure their time; build relationships and establish a balance between therapy, self-care, work and leisure as appropriate to their individual needs.
Our service user profile:
- Primary diagnosis of learning disability and mental health complex needs
- May have a secondary diagnosis of mild autism
- May present with co-morbid presentations:
- Challenging behaviour
- Schizophrenia, depression, bi-polar disorder
- Dual diagnosis
- Complex needs and/or multiple diagnoses
- May be detained under the Mental Health Act
- May have a history of repeated hospital admissions or a Community Treatment Order
- Forensic history
- En-suite bedrooms
- Choice of communal lounges
- Private gardens with space to play sports and grow vegetables
- Kitchen for learning life skills
- Dining room
- Activity room with pool table
Our community links:
- Danson Park
- Royal Museums Greenwich
- Shopping centres
- Local learning disability social groups
Please click on the images to enlarge.